Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

" 'Cause This is Thriller, Thriller Night..."

Halloween is Sunday! One of my favorite days of the year! The atmosphere just has an eerie feeling and that's what I love most about it! Does anyone love to watch the 13 Nights of Halloween on ABC Family? If you do, then we have this in common!

Since it is that spooky time of the year, I thought I'd share with you all a few ghost stories that have said to have happened here in the past. Including one of my own that I've had...

Well, it is said that Taylor Little Theatre is haunted (for reasons I don't really specifically know off of the top of my head). The library Great Room sits on top of that theatre and one Friday afternoon I was working on a project for a class that I could only work on in the library on their computers. When I walked in I knew that there were people in the Great Room and I was in 1 room over on the computers. I had my headphones on, but I could hear people and they sounded close. About 5 minutes later I was done and was getting ready to leave. Then I suddenly felt like someone ran right past to me and was really close to where I was sitting. Immediately it startled me and I looked around and no one was there. I got up to leave and no one was in the Great Room either. I didn't know what had just happened, but I got a bad feeling and ran out of there. This was my experience, but a lot of other people have experienced ghostly occurrences as well!

One ghost story that it is pretty popular is that of the young sister that had unfortunately taken her life in the 1940's. A young girl named Dorothy was going here when Mercyhurst was still an all girls college. She had met a young man named Tom and they soon fell in love and planned on getting married. But WW2 broke out and he was drafted over seas. She prayed and prayed that he would return home so they could make a life together, but one day she got a letter while still at school that he was tragically killed in battle. She decided she would never love again and gave her life to the lord and became a sister of Mercy. One day, a stranger approached her in soldier attire and she had realized that it was her long lost love and explained to her that the letter was a mistake and he was missing in action all that time he was gone. He begged her to give up her new life and fulfill her life with him. Shocked and confused, the young girl didn't know what to do and it is said that she couldn't handle anything anymore and went crazy. She placed her engagement on the finger of baby Jesus in the chapel and was locked away in O'Neil Tower for the sake of hurting others if she was left to roam the halls freely. Eventually, the other sisters discovered her one day and it is said that she had hung herself. Now sometimes people say that they see strange shadows at night in the windows of the tower in Old Main. And they think it is the ghost of Dorothy looking down on them.
Some years later after her death another young girl was going here and was hoping that her long time boyfriend was going to propose to her. So, it is said that she took the ring from the baby Jesus statue and got in the car and drove home to see her boyfriend. Along the way she got into a terrible car accident and was killed. People say that it is the ghost of Dorothy that caused the accident because she took her ring. The ring is buried somewhere on the school grounds, but no one knows where, so it could never be found.

One last story that I've always heard is that there was a horrific fire some time ago on the third floor of Egan and a lot of girls lost their belongings as well as their rooms for awhile. But one young girl was said to have been caught in the fire and was seriously burned. When she saw herself in the mirror she screamed in terror and went insane from her burns and broke the mirror. Now a lot of girls have said that their mirror just mysteriously would break on their own. Also, a specific room is haunted for sure. There is a video on youtube if you look up Mercyhurst ghosts. There's like a mist that forms on a girls webcam and you can clearly see it. She also said that her shoes were moved around a lot, things went missing and things ended up on the other side of the room when she knew that she didn't put them there. This is the most creepiest story I've heard and I avoid going on the third and fourth floors of Egan at all costs during night. The day time I sometimes have to because that's where Residence Life is located and my AD's office is up there.

So these are a few stories to get you in the mood for Halloween! And remember, when you come to Mercyhurst, ask your tour guide about some ghost stories and they will surely give you a treat!

Pumpkins that my sister and I carved while I was home! Mine is on the bottom.




Have a great Happy Halloween!

Carpe Diem,
Marleah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment