Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Long Distance Makes the Heart Grow Stronger

My boyfriend and I have been together since the beginning of my college career. I have plenty of experience with long distance relationships, and believe me they are not easy. 
I met my boyfriend, Evan, while I was working as a Sales Associate at an American Greetings store. His best friend was my co-worker's boyfriend and he came with him in the store one day during the summer of 2008. I had just graduated and was getting ready to leave to come to Erie! Evan was just 16 and starting his junior year of high school. Even though we knew it was not going to be easy, we started dating...and the rest is history! NOT!
I wish that I could end the story like this, but everything can't be THAT simple. 
If you are someone that is coming to school in a relationship there has to be a lot commitment, trust and patience, because if not it is going to fail. Evan and I went strong for about a year and a half before things started to get really hard on us. We separated for about 2 1/2 months before one day we got back together and we knew that if we were really worth it then we would do whatever it took to stay together. I know that this might sound corny, but you really do learn from your mistakes and realize that certain people in your life are worth taking the plunge for no matter what the situation. We've been together for a little over 2 years and still going strong. 
This is a picture of Evan and I on my birthday at the restaurant he works at. He bought me the huge chocolate cake! :D
Evan drives to Erie every Sunday to spend time together and I know it's hard on him, especially when I don't have a car to get to him. But I'm grateful everyday for having him there when I need the support and doing what he does for me every week. So my advice to anyone that will be soon in a long distance relationship is to make sure that there is communication, care, support, trust and commitment. There is hope for the future, so don't think that it will automatically fail. There are ways to pull through and I'm a firm believer in that. 
Carpe Diem everyone!
Have a great weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment