Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

The Crazy Life of Being an RA

Being an RA takes a lot of responsibility and work, but there are also great benefits to the job as well!

My freshman year I applied for the job and was given an alternate position, so it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I knew that if I tried harder I would eventually get where I needed to be. So my sophomore year there were openings for a few positions due to some students going to study abroad. Because there were so many limited positions, I didn't get it that time either. So, I did what I knew I had to do and went to talk with someone in the Residence Life Department and got a few pointers on what they are looking for with potential RA's. When March of my sophomore year rolled around they were looking for RA's again and I took the opportunity by the horns and worked really hard. I was accepted and it was one of the happiest days of my life!

So this year I am living on upper Lewis Ave. in the upperclassmen area (which in Mercyhurst terms is known as South Lewis).  My building partner, Hannah, put together programs for our residents to make them feel more at home and have a little fun now and then! Last Wednesday, Hannah and I had our second program which we called "Are You On the Trail to Success?" and we gave a lot of options such as honey comb cereal, reeses pieces, m&m's, nuts, raisins and pretzels. We also made a goal chart where our residents posted their #1 goal for the year and played board games.

This is Hannah and myself at our first program! Decorating our own cupcakes:)

I think this is one of the most beneficial jobs you can have on campus because you learn from so many things that you come across when you're on duty and from you're residents. My schedule is always busy no matter what every week and being an RA adds to that craziness. In a general week, this is what my schedule would be. Tuesday's are our staff meetings (this is where we get together as a staff with our AD and talk about things that we might need to bring to her attention, programs, things happening within the week, and building community with each other), Wednesday's are my night that I'm on duty and depending on the weekend I may have weekend duty as well.
If I had to give one thing that is the hardest part about being an RA I would say the weekend duties. We're required to stay up until at least 3:00am and sometimes it's really hard to stay awake that long.

If anyone is interested in becoming an RA, my advice would be to go for it! What do you have to lose? Show the Assistant Directors what you can bring to the table and how much of a great personality you have! You have to want it! You shouldn't just apply because you get free room and board. Yeah, it's a perk, but you're part of the college's staff and you have to be a role model to the students and your residents. On a good note, you always have a lot of fun and meet tons and tons of amazing people!
So everyone have a great weekend!
Carpe Diem,
Marleah

No comments:

Post a Comment